The Frozen River



It is a gripping historical Mystery inspired of the life and diary of  Martha Ballard, an 18th century midwife who defied the legal system and wrote her American History.  It taken place in Maine, in the year 1789: is when the Kennebec river freezes.

You might like this: Becoming Mrs. Lewis

Entombing a man in the ice. Martha was summoned to examine  the body and to determine what the cause of death. So a midwife and a healer, she is privy  to much what is going on behind the close doors in Hallowell.

You might Like This: Gap Creek

Her diary was used to record all the births and deaths along with every crime and debacle that were unfolding in the close knit community.  Months earlier Martha Documenting the details of the rape committed by two of the respectful towns gentlemen.

You might like this: The lady of Secret Devotion

One that was found dead in the ice,  But when  a loyal physion  undermines her conclusion, to declare the death to be an accident. Martha was focus to investage the murder on her own. Over the course of one winter, as the trial comes near.

With all the whispers and prejudices. As Martha prurses the truth. As her dairy soon landed  in the center of the scandal of the one that she loves.  Compelling of martha to decide where her loyalties lie. Who doesn't accept anything less than justice at the time when woman were consideredbest seen but heard.

Is a trilling, tense and tender story about remarkable women who left a legacy yet remains nearly forgotten.  This is a story that keept me reading pages and pages until the end of the book, Highly recommended. 

4 stars


Related Posts

Comments

  1. Anonymous1/08/2024

    This book sounds like a page turned. I so enjoy books with a historical background, whether fiction or not, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this book in People magazine and actually have it on a hold list at the library. I'm glad you liked it! It sounds like something I will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to know more about the crimes. I will be reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds really interesting and I love that, especially for the time period, it has a female lead. I will have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it is a great book! I can't wait to check it out and add it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound like a thriller worth looking into. I like to sit back with a good read and am overdue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The Frozen River" sounds like an interesting story. It would be nice to read about impressive women and what of them was forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always on the lookout for a good historical mystery, and Martha Ballard's story sounds absolutely captivating. The blend of history, mystery, and a strong female lead is exactly my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had this book on my list of must-reads so your review is very timely. I can't wait to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. our words painted a vivid picture of the book without giving away too much. I felt your excitement and curiosity, making me want to read it too. Your straightforward language made it easy for me to understand, even though I haven't read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the cover of this book. it is so stunning.. and i have had this on my tbr for a while now so your post reminded me that i need to look for it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoy historical stories. This sounds fascinating and I will have to check out the book to read the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rose Ann Sales1/09/2024

    Reading are fascinating especially reading history because it gives a lot of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a book that I would be interested in reading. Just wish I had the time to read. Maybe one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book seems like an absolute gem! The way Martha Ballard's life as a midwife intertwines with a murder mystery and societal scandal in 18th-century Maine is both fascinating and thrilling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read a book this year yet. I will have to check this one out. -LYNNDEE

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have read this book the story was wonderful along with the cover is I love. And historical stories are my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh! A historical mystery sounds like the next thing on my reading list. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments that are waiting for moderation. Big thank you for coming and visiting my website . I would like to asked one comment pre post please and thanks.